Topic: Cutler or Kaepernick

Let er rip

I look at the defense, and it's like asking a donkey to win the Kentucky Derby - Former Bear Doug Buffone

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Cutler or Kaepernick

Cutler

I want a pocket passer that can run. Not a runner that is trying to be a pocket passer.

Go Bears!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I didn't vote... seen too little of Kaep to make a judgement call yet; he hasn't even played a full season yet.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight.  Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight." - Jayne Cobb

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What a provocative thread Mongo.

I want a pocket passer that can run. Not a runner that is trying to be a pocket passer.

I recall Kaepernick shredding our defense as a pocket passer in that Monday night game. He did the same in the NFCC against the Falcons and then again week 1 against the Packers. He is a pass first QB who can kill you in the run when it's there. He's a bigger, better, faster version of Johnny Manziel.

Anyone who thinks his ceiling isn't higher than Cutler's is nuts. He's already had statistical games Cutler could only dream of.

"Suck my balls" - Ditka

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't vote... seen too little of Kaep to make a judgement call yet; he hasn't even played a full season yet.

Good point. Yet the NFL tried to sell a pistol QB out of Nevada with half a season under his belt.

I am not saying he can't play, I just thought it was premature. If he runs all season, he probably won't make it through 16 games. He is trying to develop as a pocket passer. We will see...

Go Bears!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Blang, why do you dislike Cutler so much?

Go Bears!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yet the NFL tried to sell a pistol QB out of Nevada with half a season under his belt

Took his team to a Super Bowl with a huge comeback on the road in the NFCC. Then almost pulls off the greatest Super Bowl comeback in NFL history if not for a missed PI call in the endzone in the final minute. He's the real deal my friend.

"Suck my balls" - Ditka

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Blang, why do you dislike Cutler so much?

Because I'd rather have Kaepernick means I dislike Cutler? Sheesh

"Suck my balls" - Ditka

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Because I'd rather have Kaepernick means I dislike Cutler? Sheesh

You hate on everything he does in the game threads...

Go Bears!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You hate on everything he does in the game threads...

Maybe if you'd read all of my posts in the game threads you would see that I praised him for his 3 clutch 4th quarter drives that were directly responsible for our 3-0 start... plus as I said before emotions tend to get the best of us in games and that's gets reflected in my posts whether they are overly exuberant or full of haterade.

"Suck my balls" - Ditka

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fair enough.

Football is an emotional game, even for the fans.

Go Bears!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good point. Yet the NFL tried to sell a pistol QB out of Nevada with half a season under his belt.

I am not saying he can't play, I just thought it was premature. If he runs all season, he probably won't make it through 16 games. He is trying to develop as a pocket passer. We will see...

I am a bring proponent of waiting at least 3 seasons before proclaiming a QB as elite or the next great superstar.

I would rather withhold my vote as well but if you put a gun to my head and said I had to choose, I would probably take Kaepernick.  Regardless of how good the overall team is, he was the QB when they went to the Super Bowl.  He also has destroyed the Packers all the times he has faced them which is actually the main reason I would choose him.

I HATE THE PACKERS AND ANYTHING WITH THE COLORS GREEN AND YELLOW IN IT.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Kaepernick is a dual threat QB. He has the ability to break huge runs. Cutler is shifty with his feet and can extend plays and take off for a big gain now and again.

On top of that Kaepernick has the ability to sit in the pocket and tear teams apart. He's been a little spotty this year but the kids arm is dynamite. Last year in the playoffs he made some amazing throws. Cutler has a fantasic arm but I question his decision making ability. Too many brain farts and he isn't a young developing QB anymore. Kaepernick is still at the age where you believe he can develop and continue to get better and Cutler is at the stage where he has to show he can be consistent or you gotta believe he will never get over the hump.

I like Cutler a lot. I have no problem with him QBing the Bears. But if I were given a choice.......I'd take Kaepernick.

It's not easy being drunk all the time. If it were easy, everyone would do it. - Tyrion Lannister

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

Anyone who thinks his ceiling isn't higher than Cutler's is nuts.

Its an interesting point. If we're looking at when they both entered the league the winner is Cutler, comfortably. But judging it right now, how do you not absolutely say Kaep has the higher ceiling?

I like Cutler, always been in his camp. But when you look at these two, and remove the emotion from it, Kaep surely comes out on top.

Life's a Trip

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had to Google Kaepernick.  Who comes up with these names anyway?

I choose Cutler because I think he has a lot more to show.

I'm not a princess, I don't need saving. I'm a queen, I got this shit handled.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

16 (edited by Slappynutz 2013-10-03 10:05:25)

Prior to the start of the season, I wrote as the NFC Correspondent that I was not sold on Kaepernick.  Last season, he and Alex Smith had the EXACT same amount of pass attempts.  Smith led Colin in EVERY measurable category. 

So a fairer comparison would be Cutler or Alex Smith, and I would still take Cutler.

I love animals.  They taste Great!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Prior to the start of the season, I wrote as the NFC Correspondent that I was not sold on Kaepernick.  Last season, he and Alex Smith had the EXACT same amount of pass attempts.  Smith led Colin in EVERY measurable category. 

So a fairer comparison would be Cutler or Alex Smith, and I would still take Cutler.

While the stats may have panned out that way, Kaepernick was basically a rookie and had some outstanding games and earlier this year just dismantled the Packers. 

Smith is what he is and Cutler is basically the same way.  I don't think Smith is dynamic enough to get you to the Super Bowl.  I know he was close with the 49ers but just never saw him make any plays that just blow you away, he is your steady guy.  I want a guy that could really be dynamic and Kaepernick is that guy and I think Cutler can be at well at times because he can make some unbelieveable throws.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

EvertonBears wrote:

Anyone who thinks his ceiling isn't higher than Cutler's is nuts.

Its an interesting point. If we're looking at when they both entered the league the winner is Cutler, comfortably. But judging it right now, how do you not absolutely say Kaep has the higher ceiling?

I like Cutler, always been in his camp. But when you look at these two, and remove the emotion from it, Kaep surely comes out on top.

Truth is that I'd flip a coin and take either. Both have pluses and minuses. Neither is an elite QB but both are good.

IS THAT A TEN GALLON HAT, COWBOY, OR ARE YOU JUST ENJOYING THE SHOW? (LILI VON SHTUPP)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The age difference makes it harder, but I'm with Aggie.  I refuse to anoint someone as great until they have a couple years under their belt. So, I chose Cutler because you do know what you are getting with Cutler. He will throw some clunkers (like every other QB in the league).  Yes, what Kaepernick did last year was amazing.  But remember when he played the Bears, Smith was still listed as probable until an hour before the start of the game.  I'm sure the Bears game planned a bit for Kaep, but they were also game planning for Smith.  I'm pretty sure there is nothing harder than stopping an athletic QB with no film on him.  Once you get film on them, most of them become stoppable or like Vick, they lack ball security that will hurt them long term. 

After week 2, ESPN did an analysis of the 5 young "superstar" QBs - RGIII, Wilson, Kaep, Luck, and Newton.  Kaepernick did not rate that highly in that group on things like intelligence, accuracy, durability, etc.  Kaepernick didn't rate too high in just that group.  He just happens to have the best supporting cast and the best teacher of the position. (I'm siting ESPN because I don't get to sit and watch that many games and even if I did get to sit and watch them it would mean I probably have little kid with me which does not lead to a lot of analysis). 

espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96582 … come-great

By the time, I will agree that Kaepernick is a good NFL QB ... Jay would be 33 and of course you would take the younger NFL QB in that situation (unless we are talking Manning).

Going against all of what I said, if we were talking Luck. I would absolutely take Luck (which totally goes against the whole 3 year things, but there are always exceptions to that).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

RGIII, Wilson, Kaep, Luck, and Newton.

Newton is a turd, you can lump him in with Vince Young and Michael Vick.  He loves himself more than playing football.  I am with you on Luck, I would take him in a heart beat and still think he will have the best career of the 5 mentioned by far.  He is ahead of the curve because he played with Harbaugh at Stanford and the offense they ran.  He can scramble very well and is very good in the pocket.  Wilson is good but don't think he can carry a team, having Lynch and that defense has helped him out tremendously.  I'm not sure about RGIII, don't think he was as good as he was being hyped to be last year but also don't think he is as bad as he is playing this year so my book is still out on him.  I don't think he will be as good as Luck though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down